President, Project & Portfolio Value Creation
Dr. Richard Bayney is President & Founder of Project & Portfolio Value Creation (PPVC), a consulting boutique providing training and education in Project, Program, Portfolio, Resource, and Risk Management as well as Business, Strategic, Portfolio, and Scenario Planning services.
He is an adjunct faculty member at the University of Pennsylvania, lecturing to graduate and executive students in Project Portfolio Management. A frequent speaker in ‘Portfolio & Resource Management, Risk Analysis & Risk Management, and Strategic Planning in Drug Development,’ Dr. Bayney conducts certification masterclasses in Decision Analysis and Portfolio Management in the U.S., EU, and Asia.
Dr. Bayney is a 23-year veteran of the Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology industry at Merck & Co., Bayer Corp. and AG, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Johnson & Johnson. In his previous position at Johnson & Johnson, Richard was Vice President, Portfolio Management & Decision Analysis. He has spent 11 years building and leading departments in Strategic Planning, Decision Analysis, and Portfolio Management, 2 years as an International Project Manager for a marketed cardiovascular drug, and 10 years in Molecular Biology research into gene expression in drug detoxification systems and in Alzheimer’s Disease.
Since 2008, Dr. Bayney has implemented several important processes and methodologies that have enabled organizations across diverse industries such as Pharma & Biotech, Medical Devices, Consumer Packaged Goods, and Agriculture, to realize a multitude of project and portfolio benefits:
- New Product Development (NPD) & Stage Gate Review (SGR) process.
- Risk analysis and risk management from concept to commercialization.
- Project prioritization methodologies from concept to commercialization.
- Portfolio optimization methodologies using budgetary and human resource constraints.
- Project, program, portfolio, and PMO capability maturity diagnostic assessments.
- Earned Value Management to track project progress and performance.
- Pipeline commercial forecasting and high risk options analysis.
- Asset valuation under conditions of high risk and uncertainty.
- Optimal A&P and S&M resource allocation across brand product portfolios.
Dr. Bayney obtained his M.Sc. and Ph.D. from the University of London, MBA from Columbia University, and PMP from the Project Management Institute. His first book, titled ‘Enterprise Project Portfolio Management: Building Competencies For R&D And IT Investment Success’ was released by R. Ross Publishers in 2012.